20th Anniversary Coming Soon

Terrorism has a definition. It’s not anything that terrifies you.

But Barack Obama did? Oh, I forgot, he “respectfully” bowed to the Saudi king.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What part of “all Presidents” does Barack Obama not fall under?

I agree with them. I think that information needs to be released.

Having said that, the president goes anywhere he damn pleases.

Disagree. This is historical relativism.

Ah yes, a golden oldie.

Did you notice Biden wore a tan suit yesterday. I await the outrage with anticipation

The information definitely needs to be released.

What’s more, when he was campaigning he promised he would.

But unfortunately in today’s world of geopolitics, the stability of the Saudi Royal Family trumps all.

1 Like

Nah. Terrorizing a population for political ends is terrorism.

Let’s not pretend that Bin Laden or the Klan or the D’Annunziati were somehow different, simply because they were modern or recent. That’s the actual relativism, pretending that our time is exceptional within the confines of the human condition.

Caesar sieging the Belgae was war. Caesar cutting off the hands of the survivors who surrendered, and having them delivered throughout Gaul to effect a political resolution was, is, and will always be terrorism.

The documents must be pretty damning.

By modern definitions, yes. But at the time, it was the way of doing business.

That’s why your take is relativism.

My mind’s telling me no… but my body, my BODY’s telling me yeah-eah-ah!

3 Likes

Yeah much more than 1800 are part of that group. Thousands and thousands more

No, swp ‘Modern’ is the relativism, the idea that we’re special, different, that we break the continuum of the human condition, that we are uniquely outside the constraints of normal time and the material forces of history.

And this does relate to the very modern, statist and authoritarian conception of terrorism as the special province of non-state actors deployed against the subjects of state power.

Nice.

Not to mention nowhere in history have so few terrorist killed so many in such a short amount if time.

AQ sought to rule the US?

Even my ancestors couldn’t top those numbers, not even when they massacred the Jews at York.

1 Like

Atrocious behavior by the victor toward the vanquised was SoP in the ancient world. It was expected by everybody victor and vanquished alike.

Not until the European Enlightenment did this begin to change. That is why it is relative; you are applying modern attitudes and philosophy to a world, people, and politic that you and I wouldn’t recognize, were we to visit it.

I am not saying Caesar is A-ok, only that he isn’t a terrorist as we understand the term.

Also, thanks. It’s nice to have a palate cleanser after arguing about the pandemic all last evening…:wink:

It hasn’t changed. What constitutes “atrocious” has maybe a little.

They don’t have to be “non-state”.