2018 Tropical Weather thread

Thanks friend.

Trouble is, when it comes to North Carolina, the area in blue IS the low lying coastal plains. That ALL will flood. Fayetteville/Fort Bragg, which are up in Cumberland County are still in the coastal plain, as are a number of large important cities. Camp Lejeune is right down on the coast.

The unusual geography of North Carolina means that you are always going to have a large swath of its population very vulnerable. It is not realistic for the population to retreat from that massive area.

Stay safe.

There has also been a population explosion along the coasts of SC, NC and VA in the last couple of decades.

LOL, I am glad you decided not to go!

Last year, we were already flooded from a storm before Irma hit. After that, to get to my street I needed either a boat or something with a high wheel base. Fish were jumping in my back yard, lol.

That was supposed to be a HUGE storm. For the first time in all of the hurricanes Iā€™ve lived through we had police driving through the neighborhood with bullhorns warning to evacuate.

I went to North Carolina. First time Iā€™ve ever evacuated. Aside from the flooding (which did not reach the interior of my house) everything was fine.

I understand why people donā€™t evacuate.

The storm, flooding and winds would not have been problematic for me. My current property and newly purchased properties are both in northwestern Surry County and up in the mountains. Flooding is not an issue with the house on my current property and wonā€™t be an issue when the house is built on my new property.

One problem would have been that the persistent rains up there would have made it impossible for me to accomplish anything. The bigger problem would have been all the hurricane evacuees that will be milling around in the western part of the State. Until the emergency is over and people start heading back down State, not a good idea to go there. :smile:

Itā€™s till a cat 4 and slower means that itā€™s fury will be felt longer. I fail to see how that is good news. Also, high tides come every 12 hours ā€¦

The only good news I see is the it is now forecast at a cat 3 when it makes landfall.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-category-4-hurricane-florence-likely-to-stall-and-pound-carolinas-virginia-for-days/70006011

Interestingly the American Model and European Model are now diverging at landfall, with the American Model taking it to the northeast and the European Model taking it to the southeast.

Congratulations on the new home!

I have property in Cherokee County, NC up in the mountains. I absolutely love NC.

True, you do not want to deal with mass evacuations. Just trying to get gas alone is like waking up in a third world country. People turn into animals.

When I evacuated, I took 15 gallons of gas with me. I always filled up when half empty just in case and left the 15 gallons intact.

The evacuation journey was not one Iā€™d like to experience ever again.

It may not even make landfall if upper front moving across north America collideā€¦and thus blowing the top off.

Who knowsā€¦timing is everything with these.

Thanks, though for right now it is empty property. Next year there will be a home there. :smile:

An evacuation is something I never want to get caught up in. But as I have always lived up in the Appalachian Mountains at one point or another, it has never been an issue.

Texas coastal bend is getting ready for flooding from a tropical depression.

I not finding any forecast for that. Are you reading that somewhere or is it just hopeful thinking?

The model consensus is pushing things south a bit, but it will clearly make landfall and go well inland.

Apparently there are several nuclear power plants in NC, SC and VA. At least two of them could take a direct hit.

This article states preparations are underway at the plants. The Brunswick one is supposed to be waterproof to 22 feet above sea level.

This is awful to hear. Even if it lands as a cat 3, there is bound to be massive flooding and storm surge.

I lived in Fla for 12 years, Iā€™ve seen these storms before.

Right now the storm is slowing and winds are 125.

It depends on how strong the high pressure system thatā€™s moving over/across the Appalachian.

Now theyā€™re saying the storm will make landfall Saturday morning with 100 mile winds and then head north along the coast.

As of ten minutes ago, they said sustained wind of 130 mph. Yes that is a bit weaker, but they are forecasting that it will still be a cat 3 Fri morning as it skirts the N. Carolina called coast (big surf/storm surge) and a cat 2 when it comes ashore. The big news is the southern turn (due to the high) putting S. Carolina in the cross hairs instead of N. Carolina and Virginia.

Yes, at this point it looks as though Virginia may escape a lot of the stormā€™s wrath. The Carolinas look to be in for a very bad time.

Also there are many nuclear reactors in the area. I know they will do everything possible to secure them and prevent a meltdown. But itā€™s still worrying.