200,000 jobs added, wages jump by 2.9 percent in August

Not even remotely

2 Likes

Trump does not have the fed feeding 4 trillion dollar to the banks… after the swamp crash the economy.

You are correct in that regard, but I still don’t believe you fully understand why?

When analyzing data, it is important to zoom in and focus on the period of interest. In this particular case, the period of interest is the transition time period - about 2 years prior to Obama leaving office to the present.

In my professional life, among other reasons, I analyze data in response to some kind of a problem. In order to find the root cause of that problem, my focus must be on the time period in question. Why would I want to look at a daily trend when the period of interest might only be within a very narrow time period.

In this particular case, there are two competing arguments.

1. The economic boom we are seeing today is a continuation of Obama’s recovery. Showing a 10 year trend chart would tend to support that argument. But even with that chart, if one looks closely, they will see the unemployment rate flattens out for the last several months of Obama’s term.
  2. The economic boom we are seeing today is the result of less regulation and less corporate taxes.

So the period of interest is between January 2015 and August 2018. Within that context, it makes sense to zoom into that time period for a more detailed review. What we find is that the unemployment rate stabilized in the mid 4% range beginning in November 0f 2015. It remained their until 2017 when the unemployment rate began a steady decline.

Everything thus far is factual.

So now the question. Why did the unemployment rate begin dropping in 2017 after remaining flat for 16 months? Those who credit Obama, need to be ready to explain why. Those who credit Trump can point to specific actions that Trump took.

What did Obama do?

anyone can pick a time period thats all well and good but isnt what precedes it and comes after germane to any argument?

Thats like picking out a hot streak for a 200 hitter, Hell he’s the new ted williams if one only zooms in and forgets what preceded it and what came after. Nope he’s another Mario Mendoza.

sorry peek cherry picking data aint right, :slight_smile:

Allan

2 Likes

Uh, from Jan 2015 to Dec 2016, unemployment went from 5.7 to 4.7. One percentage point.

From January 2017 to August 2018, unemployment went from 4.8 to 3.9. Nine tenths of a percentage point.

And your “period of stabilization” is no different than the period between Sep 2017 and Apr 2018. The trend over that entire period is pretty uniform.

1 Like

Right. Trump is just running $1trillion deficits

I’m not the one making the assertion that there was a material difference between the two economies.

So was Obama…

The deficit fell every year under Obama to a low of under $500 billion in 2016. Trump has now increased the deficit each of his first two years.

1 Like

okay, here’s a test for you. i zoomed in on this DOW chart during a specific time frame and left out some data.

now, is this during the depression, the recession, during Obama or during Trump and what is the short and long term trends?

You continue to miss the point entirely.

Between January 2015 and September 2015, There was a monthly drop from 5.7 to 5.0. That was under Obama’s term and was part of his recovery. That time period isn’t in question and is of no relevance to this discussion.

Between September 2015 and the end of Obama’s term, the unemployment rate hovered between 5.0 and 4.7. Basically flat through February 2017 - a period of 18 months. So my argument is that the unemployment rate had bottomed out.

Beginning in March of 2017, the unemployment rate began a steady decline to 3.9% in August of 2018.

What caused that decline?

Again in my professional career I’m called upon to answer that kind of a question on a regular basis. What we have is a flat unemployment rate hovering between 5.0 and 4.7 percent. And then something happened to precipitate a slow and steady decline.

What changed?

We can rule out anything thing Obama because he is no longer in office. That means it must be something Trump did.

And we are done. You obviously have no interest in joining the discussion, choosing instead to mock and ridicule that which you can’t hope to understand.

actually, i just exposed what you’re doing. i’d be embarrassed too.

2 Likes

That fact that Obama is trying to take credit for economy tells us that economy is heading into right direction.

And that’s what really scary the ■■■■ out of libs isn’t it?

In your professional opinion, what changed?

This is so ■■■■■■■ nonsensical. From Apr 2017 to Mar 2018, a 12 month period, there’s the same amount of decline as the period you reference. From Apr 2017 to Aug 2018 (17 month period), there’s a 0.5 decline. In a 17 month period from Jul 2015 to Nov 2016, there’s a 0.6 decline.

Your cherry picked data to try and prove some point that the decline in the unemployment rate stalled with Obama and “plunged” with Trump is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Yeah, when the economy was actively crashing and turning around, and by the end of his presidency, the deficits were shrinking. Oops.

I mean, the participation rate could drop next month and unemployment could increase to 4.1 and boom, we’d have a 18 month period with only 0.3 decline in the unemployment. Suddenly, we go from a “plunged” unemployment rate to a “flat” unemployment rate by your metrics.

2 Likes

Trump’s pro-business posture. He has repealed several burdensome regulations and continues to repeal more. He has dramatically cut business tax rates and has stopped Obama’s war on fossil fuels.