1000 + unmarked graves found in Canada

After the confederation of Canada, Residential school system was created to “educate” Indigenous children in English/French Culture so they could be “useful”. These school were privately run by the Catholic Church and some smaller Church organization.

There was little to no oversight by the government the Church was free to teach how they saw fit, this lead to large scale abuse of children by staff. this last till the 1979 when the system was taken over by the Federal Government the abuse still existed but less often.

its estimated over 7,000 children died during this period.

Residential school was mandatory, Children would be forcibly removed from their homes and sent hundreds of miles away.

America decimated native Americans, too. This is nothing new. Sounds like reperations for the victims and families.

Just you wait. We had similiar schools in this country, and they are going to start looking around those grounds.

In fact, it has already begun. See: Dozier School

Sounds like what is happening today in China with the Uighurs.

Race based?

Man’s inhumanity to man has happened all over the world throughout history and continues in some form or another today.

1 Like

hail Carlisle

Equity requires that historical statues be torn down and churches burned.

Statue of Queen pulled down by protesters in Canada (yahoo.com)

Four Churches in Canada Burned to the Ground in Likely Arson Attacks (lifenews.com)

Of course according to CRT, English and French are languages of European racism and repression. The logical end point for equity would be for children of white speakers of English and French to have their children removed and sent to boarding schools. The schools would force them to abandon English and French an use only a non-racist, non-European language.

Perhaps China can help with setting up a program in Mandarin:
True Colors of China’s Boarding Schools for Uyghur Children (bitterwinter.org)

Why are some so obsessed with tearing down historical sites and the problems incurred by peoples centuries ago? Why not help solve modern problems of the indigenous in particular, since this thread starts with indigenous of Canada?

Admittedly, this man has a soothing voice & I drifted off about halfway through. Came to about when this highway is referred to as the Highway of Tears for the number of indigenous women who’ve disappeared on it & it’s sad to note hitch hiking is still a common way to travel off the reservation as many there lack access to a car.

Having spent some time in Quebec, where indigenous at least seemed to live more integrated lives, this is surprising. Why is there more emphasis on historical finds than on problems from lack of transportation in indigenous communities to violence against indigenous women?

I would imagine that there are certain people who believe if they erase it, it will no longer exist.

Or, perhaps their anger is misdirected. People in graves from a hundred years or so ago but they just found out about it today. So, in their minds someone has to be punished for it today.

I’m seriously starting to believe some are stuck in a time warp.

The only logic behind emphasis on historical crimes is to see they aren’t repeated.

That’s the problem, though. Mantras like “Never Again” mean nothing when crimes against humanity are taking place—as is persecution of Uyghur populations in China.

In this instance indigenous living in poverty and vanishing on the highway are going to benefit zero from knowing there are graves on old school sites.

I don’t think they are. I just think it makes them feel like they did something to right a wrong.

People don’t like what is going on with the Uighurs but what are governments doing about it?

So angry about a past that cannot be changed, yet the present can be.

1 Like